Parades, retro games, great entertainment and free ice cold water are just a few of the ways South Dakota Farm Bureau will be celebrating 100 years of the organization all week along Farm Bureau Avenue at the 2017 South Dakota State Fair.
“This is our centennial year and we are exited to offer special events for a week-long celebration at the South Dakota State Fair,” said Krystil Smit, South Dakota Farm Bureau Executive Director. “We will have some new activities as well as some traditional ones that are sure to provide some seriously twisted fun for fair-goers of all ages.”
Parades All Week
Parades will take place Thursday through Sunday along Farm Bureau Avenue on 3rd Street.
· Century Farm Celebration Parade – Thursday, August 31 at 9:30 a.m.
· Farm Bureau Centennial Golf Cart Parade – Friday, September 1 at 10 a.m.
· Classic Car Parade – Saturday, September 2 at 10 a.m.
· Antique Tractor Parade – Sunday, September 3 at 10 a.m.
The Century Farm Parade will begin at the Farm Bureau Dakotaland Stage and will be for Century Farm honorees. All other parades will begin at the Centennial Stage and those who rented a golf cart at the fair or are bringing a classic car or antique tractor to the fair are encouraged to participate.
Each day a Centennial Retro Game will take place at the Farm Bureau Dakotaland Stage. All fair-goers are invited to participate and join in some old-fashioned fun!
· Tug of War – Thursday, August 31 at 9:30 a.m.
· Pie Eating Contest – Friday, September 1 at 1 p.m.
· Hula Hoop Contest – Saturday, September 2 at 1:45 p.m.
· Bobbing for Apples – Sunday, September 3 at 1:45 p.m.
· Ring Toss – Monday, September 4 at 12:30 p.m.
Farm and ranch families who have owned their family farm or ranch for 100, 125 and 150 years will be recognized at a special Century Farm Recognition program at 10 a.m. on the Farm Bureau Dakotaland Stage on Thursday, Aug. 31 at 10 a.m. This kicks off five days of great entertainment taking place on the stage throughout the fair. For a complete schedule visit the State Fair Event Guide.
Free Ice Cold Water
Stay hydrated while you enjoy the South Dakota State Fair, compliments of South Dakota Farm Bureau. Pick up a free bottle of Ice Cold Water at the SDFB booth located on the south end of Farm Bureau Avenue. Also, sign up for great prizes, learn more about the benefits of being a member of SDFB and mark your calendar for our upcoming Centennial Convention November 18-19, 2016 at the Sioux Falls Convention Center.