Century Farm & Ranch
Each year, South Dakota Farm Bureau and the South Dakota Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources join together to recognize farms and ranches that have been in the same family for 100 years.
In addition to recognizing Century Farms, those that have been in the same family for 125 years are recognized as Quasquicentennial farms and those that have been in the same family for 150 years are recognized at Sesquicentennial farms.
Since the program began in 1984, over 3,000 farm and ranch families have been honored. The award presentation takes place each year at the South Dakota State Fair.
Requirements for Century, or Quasquicentennial, or Sesquicentennial farms & ranches:
- Has been owned by a member of the same family for 100, or 125 or 150 years
- Consists of 80 acres or more
- Have proof of original date of purchase
How to apply:
1. Download and fully complete the application form
2023 Quasquicentennial Farm Application
2023 Sesquicentennial Farm Application
2. Return the form & documentation of Date of Original Purchase to the SDFB office by August 1, 2023. Applications must be returned by mail only.
South Dakota Farm Bureau
PO Box 1426
Huron, SD 57350
3. Contact the SDFB office with any questions
Contact person: Julie Fritzsche
Direct phone: (605) 353-8052
Click here to view the Century Farm & Ranch pictures.
Click here to view the Quasquicentennial Farm & Ranch pictures.
Click here to view the Sequicentennial Farm & Ranch pictures
At the 2022 South Dakota State Fair, 29 families were honored as Century Farms, 16 families were honored as Quasquicentennial farms/ranches with 125 years of family ownership. and 3 families were honored as Sesquicentennial farms/ranches with 150 years of family ownership.
View maps from the SD Dept. of Ag & Natural Resources showing the location of each year's Century Farm families