Century Farm & Ranch
Each year, South Dakota Farm Bureau and the South Dakota Department of Agriculture join together to recognize farms and ranches that have been in the same family for 100 years.
In addition to recognizing Century Farms, those that have been in the same family for 125 years are recognized as Quasquicentennial farms and those that have been in the same family for 150 years are recognized at Sesquicentennial farms.
Since the program began in 1984, over 3,000 farm and ranch families have been honored. The award presentation takes place each year at the South Dakota State Fair.
Requirements for Century, or Quasquicentennial, or Sesquicentennial farms & ranches:
- Has been owned by a member of the same family for 100, or 125 or 150 years
- Consists of 80 acres or more
- Have proof of original date of purchase
How to apply:
1. Download and fully complete the application form
2021 Century Farm & Ranch Application
2021 Quasquicentennial (125) Farm & Ranch Application
2021 Sesquicentennial (150) Farm & Ranch Application
2. Return the form & documentation of Date of Original Purchase to the SDFB office by August 9, 2021.
South Dakota Farm Bureau
PO Box 1426
Huron, SD 57350
3. Contact the SDFB office with any questions
Contact person: Julie Fritzsche
Direct phone: (605) 353-8052
At the 2020 South Dakota State Fair, 25 families were honored as Century Farms,16 families were honored as Quasquicentennial farms/ranches with 125 years of family ownership and 1 family was honored as Sesquicentennial farm/ranch with 150 years of family ownership.